Hello ZoHa Islands -
Server Side Baking or SSB as commonly referred to - renders clothing layers, avatar’s skin, tattoos, alpha from the client side to the server much faster.
The major benefit to SSB is no more cloud avatars. This is because the baking [rendering] of your avatar is moving to the Region Server your Avatar is standing in. This new method of baking eliminates delays in passing rendered information to all viewing your avatar.
Currently your avatar is rendered on your PC with information then transmitted to the server to distributed to others viewing you. Avatar rendering performance in the past was tied to the quality of the Internet Connection to and the speed of the the Client PC.
Those who delay upgrading to a modern viewer will still see avatars as before with the exception that the textures rendered by the SSB code may be missing from them leaving a white mask on the prim/layer shape. In addition to the SSB code upgrades, several other updates will also be rolled out at this same time.
The good folks at Linden Lab are testing server side baking for official Second Life Viewers which is projected for release within the next 2-4 weeks.
Supported Viewers as of April 25th – 2013
- Firestorm Viewer 22.214.171.124720 has added support for Server Side Baking
- Catznip Viewer R8 has server side baking support (SSB)
- Nirans Viewer 2.2.0 Alpha (2656) contains the update SSB (Server Side Baking)
- Singularity Viewer 1.8.0 has added support for Server Side Baking
- Kokua Vewer latest build includes experimental code
- Cool VL viewer supports Server Side Baking
Please check back for updates!